Boğaziçi Üniversitesi İstanbul, Turkey
M.A. in International Relations: Europe, Turkey, and the Middle East Ongoing
Washington College Chestertown, Maryland USA
International Studies (Near East and North Africa), minor in Economics Sep. 2013–May 2017
Al Akhawayn University Ifrane, Morocco
Political Science (Exchange Semester) Jan. 2016– Jun. 2016
Institut Européen de Français Montpellier, France
French linguistics (Summer Program) Jun. 2015–Jul. 2015
ENGLISH (Mother Tongue), TURKISH (Upper Intermediate), Spanish (Intermediate), FRENCH (Beginner)
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR POLITICAL SCIENCE STUDENTS (IAPSS) Remote
Editorial Assistant (IAPSS Academic Department) Jul. 2019–Present
- Review documents for syntax and grammatical errors prior to publication within IAPSS’ two indexed academic journals
- Facilitate the triple-blind review procedure
- Content Editing, Copy Editing, and Proofreading
- Content Review for “Politikon” and “Encuentro Latinamericano”
Media Coordinator (IAPSS Public Relations Department) Jun. 2019–Mar. 2021
- Write, edit, and coordinate media posting on five media channels (FB, Insta, LinkedIn, Twitter, Reddit)
- Promote collaborative events (webinars, conferences, calls for applications, journal issues, etc.)
- Maintain engagement and membership of a 200,000+ online community
- Coordinate between regional teams (Africa, Europe, Latin America, North America, and Oceania) and IAPSS Global
INTERNATIONAL POLITICAL SCIENCE ASSOCIATION Global
Member, Researcher, Speaker, and Panel Chair (as needed) Jan. 2016–Present
- IPSA World Congress (Lisbon, Portugal, 2021): Co-authored the article “From Recipients to Donors: Comparing Official Development Aid (ODA) Approaches Through Turkish Collaboration with Somalia” within the research panel Comparative Public Policy RC30.05. Chaired the panel “Statecraft and China’s Rise in International Markets,” Co-Chaired the panel “Nationalism, Populism, and Economic Transformation.”
- IPSA World Congress Lecturer (Brisbane, Australia, 2018): conducted fieldwork, wrote, and presented the article, “Paramilitaries and Politics: Barriers and Opportunities for Political Pluralism in Colombia.”
- IPSA World Congress (Poznań, Poland, 2016): researched, presented, and published the article, “Laïcité and Laiklik: When Did the Comparability of Assertive Laicism in France and Turkey Dissolve?”
CORPORACIÓN ANNE FRANK (Human Rights Non-Profit) Popayán, Cauca, Colombia
Photojournalist (Volunteer) Jan. 2018–May. 2018
- Aided victims of the Colombian internal armed conflict, human trafficking forced displacement, torture, and sexual abuse
- Contributed to anti-trafficking campaigns
- Contributed to voting campaigns
- Attended seminars with different sectors of civil society and the military elite
- Photographically documented NGO involvement in the Peace Processes
- Created graphic designs for the organization’s promotional efforts
- Edited translations (Spanish to English)
- Co-published and designed the book, “Memoria y Corporalidad: de campos de batalla a recintos de paz,” featuring interviews with survivors of the conflict with their portraits
- Conducted photoshoots
- Scheduled, conducted, and translated interviews
- Helped coordinate a book launch and exposition
AGENCY FOR TECHNICAL COOPERATION AND DEVELOPMENT (ACTED) Dushanbe, Tajikistan
English Teacher and Non-Profit Intern Jun. 2016–Jul. 2016
- Developed lesson plans.
- Instructed and mentored students from 10 to 60 years old.
- Lead tutoring sessions in Public Speaking.
- Facilitated administrative efforts of ACTED in watershed management in Tajikistan
- Edited documents (post-translation to English from Russian)
- Designed promotional graphics as needed
American Research Institute in Turkey (ARIT)- Turkish Language and Culture Program (TCLP)
Fellowship nominee for intensive Turkish language courses taught by Boğaziçi University’s TCLP department and supported by Georgetown University; achieved B1 level in Turkish in reading, speaking, writing, and listening
Frederica.EU Universitá di Napoli Federico II (Online Research Center)
Empirical Research Methodology, Comparative Political Systems, Contemporary Issues in World Politics, Understanding Political Concepts, Democracies and Autocracies: Theories and Empirical Findings
TEFL & TESOL Teacher Certification Course (Remote)
“NOOC Identification of Projects in Multilateral Institutions–World Bank and Inter-American Development Bank” (4 hours, ICEX-CECO, online)
IAPSS Moscow Study Session (Moscow, Russia)
Attended Lectures, discussions, and panels with statisticians, economists, journalists, professors, CEOs, representatives of the IMEMO think tank, and influential civil society members.
Conference Attendee - Blockchain Economy Istanbul 2020
The Blockchain Economy Istanbul 2020 brought together researchers, developers, software engineers, cryptocurrency miners, coders, tech start-ups, national security personnel, lawyers, and financial professionals all interested in how the cryptocurrency market will unfold, interact, and -in some ways- surpass some aspects of traditional finance: https://www.blockchaineconomy.istanbul/EN/index.html .
Seminar Attendee - Process Tracing Methods
This seminar presented by Professor Rasmus Brun Pedersen on Process Tracing Methods unpacked the concepts of Process Tracing as well as its applicability in the world of peer-reviewed empirical research. The process is largely investigative and extremely meticulous and aims to begin at the point of phenomena and dissect the moments leading up to it. This method is most applicable to a singular cause or event and represents possibly the most in-depth form of analysis. It aims to look 'deeper' rather than 'wider' into the causal components of a circumstance.
Research Methods Seminar - Comparative Case Studies Research
This special feature seminar was presented by Professor Werner J. Patzelt in July of 2018 (Brisbane, Australia). Dr. Patzelt discussed the nuances of how to organized and structure empirical research, in particular with respect to Most-Similar-Different-Outcome (MSDO) and Most-Different-Similar-Outcome (MDSO) approaches among other methodological strategies. The seminar also addressed how to delineate independent and dependent variables within qualitative research so that publications are analytically stronger and more accessible to prospective readers.
Attendee - Moscow Intercultural Session (IAPSS) 2017
In collaboration with the Center for Crisis Society Studies and the Public Policy Department of the Faculty of Political Science at the Lomonosov Moscow State University, IAPSS hosted an international study session that allowed students from all over the globe to attend lectures, discussions, and panels with statisticians, economists, journalists, professors, CEOs, the IMEMO think tank, and other influencers of civil society. Students participate on a self-motivated basis, for the sake of carrying these insights into careers in international relations and improving the human condition.
OCP Policy Center - Registration, Panel Supervision, Management 2016
TFrom the 2-4th of May, I volunteered at the Africa 2016 Think Tank Conference hosted by the OCP Policy Center at the Sofitel in Marrakech, Morocco. The event was hosted in collaboration with the Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program (TTSP) and United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA). While facilitating registration, panel supervision, and participant management at the event, I had also had the opportunity to sit in on the panels (presented in English and French). This experience was pivotal to my understanding of how policy is constructed and contested, particularly in the realm of economic empowerment and development.
IT Skills: Mac, Microsoft Word, Pages (iWork), Excel, MS PowerPoint, Ucraft Web Design, Adobe Lightroom
Editorial: Writing, Editing, Content Editing, Copy Editing, Proofreading, Transcription, Spanish to English Translation, Creative Writing, SMM, Journalism, copywriting, Publishing, Business Communications, Linguistics, Academic Writing, Research
Research and Publications
M.A. Thesis (in progress), “Capitol: Can Blockchain Reduce Electoral Corruption?”
Jakus, J. (2021) From Recipients to Donors: Comparing Official Development Aid (ODA) Approaches Through Turkish Collaboration with Somalia. IPSA World Congress Archives.
Jakus, J. (2020). When Did the Discussion of “Fixed Versus Floating Exchange Rates” Fall Out of Vogue? Journal Of Applied Business and Economics, 22(10). https://doi.org/10.33423/jabe.v22i10.3720 .
Jakus, J.M. (2020). What can Crude Oil Builds, Futures, and Stock Crashes tell us about the Global Financial System?
Modern Diplomacy. Retrieved 10 August 2021, from https://moderndiplomacy.eu/2020/12/12/what-can-crude-oil-builds-futures-and-stock-crashes-tell-us-about-the-global-financial-system/.
Jakus, J.M. (2020). Ceasefire Violated, Civilians of Ganja, Azerbaijan Hit –Again.
Modern Diplomacy. Retrieved 10 August 2021, from https://moderndiplomacy.eu/2020/10/26/ceasefire-violated-civilians-of-ganja-azerbaijan-hit-again/.
Jakus, J.M. (2020). Beneath the Skin of America’s Protest.
Modern Diplomacy. Retrieved 10 August 2021, from https://moderndiplomacy.eu/2020/06/05/beneath-the-skin-of-americas-protest/.
Jakus, J.M. (2018). Paramilitaries and Politics: Opportunities and Barriers for Political Pluralism in Colombia. IPSA World Congress Archives.
Jakus, J. (2017). Laïcité and Laiklik: When Did the Comparability of Assertive Laicism in France and Turkey Dissolve?
Sociology And Anthropology, 5(11), 923-940. https://doi.org/10.13189/sa.2017.051103